Monday, July 9, 2012

Trail Magic Galore : )

I have had such an amazing time since I got back in at Tuolumne Meadows. That section was an insanely difficult spot to get back in after being so sick but I did it! It was constantly up down, up down, but I had a blast. My favorite place in this last section was called Benson Lake. It's this GORGEOUS lake that is surrounded on all sides by mountains. The sand brought me back to the beach I so desperately miss. It was just like being out in La Jolla... well.. sort of haha.


This is the view I had that night. The mosquitoes in that section were absolutely horrific. I felt like I was constantly being eaten alive. There was no part of me that wasn't attacked. They'd just stick their little blood sucking "tongues" right through my clothes. I was literally covered in bites for days. Try going to sleep while you're itching your life away.. doesn't work so well. I am SOOOO incredibly thankful to be out of that mess. My trail name fit in quite well during those miles for I was quite literally a mosquito Blood Bank. Go figure.

I've met so many new people since I've been back it's incredible. I'm finally running into some girls which is just a god send. I love the vibe out here right now and I'm living it up. Soakin' in the rays : P

Sleeping Bear was doing trail magic over at Sonora Pass when I came through the other day and it was amazing. This wasn't my first encounter w him and I hope it's not my last. That man is wonderful. I had to take a zero day at Sonora Pass because my Mom was meeting me and going backpacking for a few days.

We had so much fun together! I am so thankful for her and all the support she continues to give me. We went quite slow but I didn't care one bit. I just was enjoying every second of her company. It's not about the miles that you put in, but rather the time you spend and the memories you make. And mom... I had a blast w you! You're the best anyone could ever ask for.

Not only did my Mom come meet up and take on the difficult task of hiking w me, but she also provided a wonderful meal to me and some of the other hikers around. Turkey burgers, salad, tuna, raspberries, strawberries, cinnamon rolls, brownies, the list was quite extensive... I'm drooling right now just thinking about all the fabulous food we had.

I had been craving a kiwi for the longest time. I was talking w Stone Fly and a bunch of other hikers about it.. the next morning I wake up and while I'm unpacking my bag I find a kiwi stashed away. It was like Christmas Morning. I have asked everyone if they knew how it got there but I have yet to solve this most magical Trail Magic. So to who ever got me the kiwi (stone fly???)...... THANK YOU!!!!!

I got an offer to stay tomorrow night w another hiker and I just couldn't pass it up haha. So another zero tomorrow : ) And SUSHI! I have been craving it ever since before I started the trail. 3 months is just WAY too long to be craving something and not getting it. So hooray for finally meeting up w hikers and going to get sushi! YAY!!!

I'm still having a blast out here. Wouldn't trade it for the world. This has been the best experience of my life. Thank you everyone!

Also a big shout out to Lake of the Sky Outfitters. They have an amazing establishment here. They've got a room in the back which is how I'm able to blog for you guys. They've got a pretty decent gear store and the hospitality is FABULOUS. They've got fruit and water and a laptop and printer for our convience. Thank you guys so much! If you are in South Lake Tahoe be sure to stop in! They also offer a hiker discount : )

Sushi and another shower await,
Sara

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Sushi and even more important- for creating memories with sweet Sara. She made me not feel so bad about going so slow- breathing walking and of course talking takes a lot of work; it had been 35 years since last time I packed- and starting at 10,000 ft elevation without acclimatizing (for you Sara :)
    Sara is an incredible backpacker and if any of you get a chance to go with her- take advantage of it. You will learn a lot.
    I had sooo much fun and love sharing your world with you. I felt like the pack was a BEAST- until I picked yours up! Crazy beans! Photo memories in my brain to last a lifetime. <3 Muah

    ReplyDelete